Dealing with the IRS

Use these links to get forms and pubs for amended returns and handling disputes with the IRS.

There are two lists below:

  • Forms
  • IRS Publications


Form 911 Application for Taxpayer Assistance Order
Form & Instructions
Get it? Form 911 for emergencies . . .
Form 1040X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
Form  Instructions
Use to file corrections for a return previously filed. If changes will affect particular schedules or forms attached to your original return, you need those items also.
Form 2848 Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative
Form  Instructions
Use to authorize someone else to represent you before the IRS.
Form 8857 Request for Innocent Spouse Relief
Form & Instructions
If the IRS is trying to collect taxes your spouse should have paid, use this form to apply for relief.
Form 9465 Installment Agreement Request
Form & Instructions
Use this form to request more time to pay your taxes.

IRS Publications

Pub 1 Your Rights as a Taxpayer
A brief but important summary.
Pub 556 Examination of Returns, Appeal Rights, and Claims for Refund
Pub 594 The IRS Collection Process
Pub 1546 The Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS

Our books

Free Online Guides

Equity Compensation

Compensation in Stock and Options

Taxation of Investments

Capital Gains

Mutual Funds